Sunday, September 11, 2011

We'll need a bigger house...

One of the things my boss told me before moving here was that we could find beautiful, high quality furniture here for a fraction of the cost back home.  Anyone who knows me well knows that I have always loved furniture and decorating in general, so this was just another plus for Penang!  You will also know that our small house in St. Pete is already filled to the brim with furnishings we've (well, I've) accumulated, so even though we sold some things prior to moving, there's not much space to work with.  Well, that hasn't deterred me.... last week we finally got to visit a shop I had been wanting to get to during their annual clearance sale.  We got our delivery on Wednesday - so excited!  Here is our new console table (and the book case we ordered back in May):


You can see that I also overcame my fear of the concrete walls and hung up Brenna's baby photos.  This is in our living room with the doorway to the master bedroom to the right.  Here's a closer view of the console cabinet - the doors are covered with carved Chinese characters:


We also picked up an interesting lamp - the base is a salvaged ventilation tile from the old Penang shophouses.  You see them in some of the remaining structures and they are typically this glazed green color.  Couldn't pass that up...

And finally, we added this lovely piece... don't worry Mom N, we haven't become Buddhists, we just thought it was pretty and not something we could find back home!


We could have bought so much more, but thought we'd better pace ourselves!  There is still much to see and do here in Malaysia.  That was our excitement for last week.  More posts to come from our weekend in Taiping and the Mid-Autumn Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment