Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cast came off today!!

So I woke up this morning, and checked my cast, because it really hurt last night, when I checked it the one pin, was REALLY infected, I called Rox to let her know and we got in to see the Doc this afternoon. I could have waited till my regular appointment tomorrow, but figured better not risk the infection. Well when we arrived we met another couple from the US at Gleneagles, the husband had a case of whiplash.We did not have long to wait and they sent us right away for x-rays. I had x-rays done on my wrist and hip, then saw the Dr. His assistant took off the cast, and the doctor came in to take a look. with the cast off the swelling was not as bad and seem more localized to the places where the pins were put in. The Dr. decided to take one pin out and leave the other one since the ulna had knit most of the way...he just wanted to make sure it had healed completely...The taking out of that pin was excruciating...no local anesthetic, just a pair of pliers...holy crap it hurt!! Once that was done there was no re-casting, he put me in a wrist brace, and gave me some anti-biotic to treat the infection. Back to see him Monday when he may take out the last pin. The last bit of good news was that the hip looks good so far, looking at the x-ray the bone density is equal between the femoral head and the rest of the femur...that is awesome news, but he said i will need a bone scan, in another 2 months just to be sure, but for now the news is good!! Good day in Penang, despite waking up, thinking the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment