Thursday, April 21, 2011

Felt like HOME today.

Today was really the first day for me that this place felt like home. Let me tell you why....First off, i did not feel like a slacker sleeping in, and figured i could get in my run tonight or tomorrow, and just go a bit longer. i never felt pressure at home to stay on schedule, i could always "make it up". I have felt a bit pressured here, mostly because I don't have any weight training yet (coming soon), I have no scale to monitor my weight (really affecting my OCD),and I cannot maintain a good diet as of yet, as the food is still a work in progress. Today though the pressure was not there, I know i can go out early before Roxanne leaves for work, I know the gym membership is next on the list, and i really have to get over the stepping on the scale thing every 3 hours (which i have been forced to do). Second, I had stuff to do today and really did not feel that anxiety that comes with doing something new...Today it was paying our phone bill, now this is for the house phone, which i have no idea why we even have. Everyone that we do know calls us on our hand phones. Anyway, so the bill was 1096.50 Ringgit, about $300 US, I had to get the money together in cash as we don't have a local bank account and they don't take credit cards. So after breakfast and a little cleanup time, Brenna and headed out via Taxi for the post office. I had been warned that you can wait for hours sometimes so be prepared, so I told the Taxi guy to move on, and we would call when we were done. It took 5 min, we barely sat down before they called our number, I handed the guy the cash, he did his computer thing and handed me a receipt...DONE. there was a Taxi waiting right outside! no problem! The Taxi guy was cool, and he gave me quite an insight into the local culture, he was a middle aged man (he said 58, but he looked not a day over 40) he talked with great reverence about his kids, then asked questions, mostly about material things, where i lived, how much it cost, what i drove, that kind of thing...it seemed very important for him to know these things and I had no problem talking to him about them, his English was very good. He dropped us off back at the mall, Brenna wanted to get a "Sand Art" done (6 ringgit, $2US) She really had a good time doing it and it came out great!! We also stopped by the Cold Storage (we are there everyday now). Mostly because there are very few preservatives used in things here, bread is fresh baked, fruit is fresh picked, meats are often freshly cut and locally killed, so things HAVE to be eaten, which means you go through things like fruits and veggies quickly, and since we have been trying to maintain our fruits and veg, we go back to the grocery often. Next week I am going to the "Wet Market" though, especially for Fish, Fruit and Veg. This is my last reason, I am finally "Getting it" not attempting to put my fingers in my ears close my eyes and say "Its not this way, its not this way!" Its this way...pure and simple! Brenna and I got to swim for about 2 hours, she found some new friends and had her first experience with kids NOT wanting to play with her, that was new for her but she worked at it and eventually they no longer ignored her...much. We took a walk back over to the mall, I am doing more swimming and so is she so we both needed a goggles update...took care of that, came home. Rox got home not long after that, driving for her is getting easier, another reason why this is feeling like home, once the car gets easy, all bets are off, we can go anywhere!! We had a nice home cooked meal of fresh steamed broccoli, Salmon, and rice...Good!! Skyped with Rox's mom for a good period of time, and now Brenna is off to bed, I am not far behind, and Rox has a meeting online at midnight...Yep it is starting to feel just like home!!! Well goodnight you guys!! Another great day in Penang!!

No comments:

Post a Comment