Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kombucha, Crystals and Master Khoo.

My day began with catching a cab to drop Brenna at school. I decided to run back home and include the mileage from Brenna's school to link up with my normal 6 mile loop. This was a good plan, although I have never been a city runner and dogging traffic is still a bit scary for me. today was an early release day for Brenna and she had to be picked up by 12:30pm. I also had my meeting with Master Khoo at 2:00PM, so there was not time to get very much done. After a quick shower it was off to "The Bean" (henceforth "The Coffee Bean" to be known as "The Bean") for some Jasmine Dragon pearls tea. Then it was off to get Brenna. I decided that today I would call ahead for a cab from the business cards we had gotten, so Mr Zaini was the one I chose (Brenna had liked how his cab "smelled"). I also asked him about taking us down to Master Khoo's place on Penang road in Georgetown, he advised that he could. Brenna had a good day in school, and when we got home, ran over to the cold storage market for some more water, she also wanted a doughnut, a stop at "Big Apple Doughnuts" was in order. Really Gotta stay away from that place or all this running will be no good at all. Then we hooked up with Mr. Zaini to head to Georgetown for a meeting with Master Khoo, and hopefully some Kombucha!! Master Khoo was as expected, an older Asian man with a small street front shop, specializing in crystals and Feng Shui, he had my Kombucha babies, and spent nearly 45 min helping me to understand the benefits of this magic elixir. He also shared with Brenna and I how proud he was of his children (he has a beautiful and successful family). He then took us around the corner to the Asian market to get the tea I would need to make my initial brew. In the end Brenna and I both bought crystal bracelets, hers a colored crystal and mine a garnet (he also explained the benefits of wearing garnet). We both bid Master Khoo a fond farewell, he insisted that Brenna call him uncle, and that anything we needed to please call on him. I learned more in the 45 min i spent with him than I would in weeks of Internet searching, and not just about kombucha and crystals and Chinese medicine, but life and family and honor. It was time very VERY well spent, I was very happy to have shared it with my daughter. I left Penang road in Georgetown, happily clutching my 3 kombucha babies, and cannot wait to begin to brew my own. Brenna napped for a bit, woke up in a foul mood, and eventually agreed to join Roxanne and I for Dinner. Rox had gotten home about 2 hours after our return from Master Khoo. We ate a very nice meal at a place called 7 Bistro, and then stopped off at the cold storage market again for more provisions. Brenna again enticed us to Big Apple Doughnuts (that place is going to kill me). Another very good day in Penang! I can truly see why people love this place and its people. I feel at times like i have gone backwards to a world where people truly cared about and trusted one another...i look forward to another day in Penang, I am glad that you all have joined us on this journey, until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment