Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kuala Lumpur a/k/a "KL"

Extra post today so Rox can tell you about her first visit to KL...  Kuala Lumpur or "KL" as the locals call it is the capital city of Malaysia and is the home of the two beautiful Petronas Towers, which were once the tallest buildings in the world.  It's a big city and, not being a "city person", is a bit scary for me.  I met three of the Jabil HR recruiting team members at the airport on Thursday night for a 9:45 PM flight.  The flight was uneventful and quick...only 50 minutes!!  We landed and proceeded to buy tickets for the express train into the city center, where we then took a taxi to the hotel, finally arriving at about 12:30 AM.  The career fair was being held just next door in the Mid-Valley Megamall Exposition Center.  I was told that the crowds would be large and it would be hard to move around much once the doors were open.  So, we made our way over to the Jabil booth at about 9 AM the next morning.  It was really cool to see all the big companies there - Dell, Intel, HSBC, Nestle and many more.  Jabil had a large double booth and we had to set up all our "stuff".  I've never been part of anything like this and was very nervous about how professional we would (or would not) look.  In the end, our booth looked great and plenty of people stopped to ask about us.  "What does your company do?" was the most popular question.  Jabil has no manufacturing in KL, so folks there were not as familiar with it.  Those that did know what we did tended to be engineers looking for engineering jobs...too bad we were promoting IT and Finance:-)  I never imagined I would represent Jabil to an entire community of people, let alone in another country, so it was pretty cool.  We found a few good candidates for Finance and I even got to interview a couple of people on the spot using one of the little temporary interview rooms - these were tiny rooms with plastic walls, a door and a window.  As I was interviewing, people were walking by looking in at us...very distracting!  After about 8 hours, the HR team shooed me out as I looked really tired to them.  We never did connect for dinner, so after wandering through the mall for 2 hours on my own, I headed back to the hotel.  I was very excited to find several nice shops with interesting housewares, Asian-style rugs and even clothes that would fit me!  Malaysians really do love to shop.  Saturday dawned early, but I was first to arrive at the booth and proceeded to set up.  10 minutes prior to doors opening, the rest of our team showed up....I was stressing!  However, it was an early day for me as they advised me to leave by 1 PM to make my 4 PM flight back to Penang.  So, one interview later, I was on my way for a quick stop at Toys R Us (better selection there) and even had a minute to nab two blouses from Marks & Spencer for me!  Then on to the hotel to pick up my bag and settle in for the one hour taxi ride to the airport.  Happy to be back in Penang with my family and hopefully, a good night's sleep!  We will definitely visit KL again - people were very friendly and the transit system was very straightforward.  Driving is still crazy, so planes, trains and taxis will probably be the way we go...until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment