Monday, May 23, 2011

Busy day in Penang!


nice sunset tonight over the straits of Malacca

Well I was busy, Rox felt really badly when she got up this morning, so she spent most of the day in bed. Brenna got a rid into school this morning, as Nina (neighbor) had to take her youngest in via car, so she offered to take Brenna also, such nice people. I got a run in this morning (see blog 2). then got home and decided to register for another run, which took me down into Georgetown...I decided to walk down and really get my exercise in, almost a 3 mile walk. Walking around here can be interesting, not only the sights and the smells, but you do take your life in your hands...I actually had a man on a motorcycle turn towards me (I don't think he saw me) so I figured "pedestrian motorbike chicken" Lets Play!! I stood my ground and he swerved around me, he had to beep though so I will call it a draw!! My walk back from 31 Lorong Seratus Tahun, where I had to drop off my registration, found me facing the torrential downpour that seems to come every afternoon right around 12:30 -13:00...I did bring an umbrella too, the problem is that the rain does not fall strait up and down, it tends to fall sideways, so an umbrella is only good for one thing...it keeps the rain falling from the trees from getting right on top of your head, the rest of you, including the underside of the umbrella is soaked! As the rain slowed I was passing a street cart selling fresh fruit and decided that since I did not get to the Wet Market on time today, I would treat my soaked to the skin self with some fruit. I got some golden watermelon, pineapple, papaya, lyeche, and longan...I was the happiest soaking wet guy I knew...and can you believe it all of that for only 3 Ringgit!! that's like $1US!! Awesome, I mean street food is always your best option here, its fresh, its well made, and it is generally inexpensive, some of it is down right super spicy hot, but if you know what to get, you are pretty safe. So the long walk home was made better by a big bag of fruit. the skies cleared as I walked into the entrance way of our apartment (of course). I found Roxanne feeling a bit better, and spent some time watching a little football, but it was nearly time to go down and meet Brenna's bus. Brenna got home and begrudgingly did her homework, you know i give her a hard time about not wanting to do the homework, but i hated doing it also, and took the same shortcuts that she tries to take. She is just so much smarter than I was at her age that I feel like if I don't push her a bit she will get lazy, and as we have said already the school tends to expect a bit more from her. We have a meeting with Brenna's teacher tomorrow after school, I have my reading group at school tomorrow, and we are supposed to have Rita our domestic help start tomorrow, so tomorrow might just turn out to be very busy as well. I texted Rita though to see if we can wait until Thursday to begin, I have not gotten a response yet so I am expecting to see her...not sure what to do then, i guess just leave her here to do her stuff and lock the door when I go. that makes me nervous as hell, we will be locking up the valuables if that is going to happen (we have most of them locked up anyway. I hate that I think that way, but I do... We finished the night with a relaxing meal at our favorite Dim Sum restaurant, not on the menu for today, but we were all a bit tired and did not feel like cooking...better for you than McDonald's!! (I guess). so that's it for today, hopefully I can get over to the wet market tomorrow morning after I get Brenna on the bus, I am missing my nightly Mango fix!! I just set up another 5 liters of Kombucha to brew...I'm going to try and leave this one for 10-14 days rather than the 7 I have been doing, and see how it comes out, i will check it on day 10, just to make sure that it is not bitter, I do like it a bit sweet. Well you guys, Another great day in Penang, for me anyway, and I think for Brenna, Rox had kind of a rotten day, but seems to be feeling better! Good night all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment