Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday at the Market!

A very gentle morning, Rox off to work and Brenna off to school, no problems...I was feeling a bit run down after our exciting weekend and my early Sunday wake up call. It was a market day though, and I had to get some fruit as well as produce today...before my visits to Pulau tikas were just fruit and veg, today it will also include some chicken, duck, and fish...That will be interesting!! So on the way up to the market, my walk has become somewhat routine...there is always this little old Malay man just outside the market, an he has fruit also, I usually try and buy at least one thing from him, today it was a huge papaya, and some more of the longan fruit that I got last time...he says they are from his own farm...not sure about that, but ok. The funny part is he tries to hit me up again when I come back out...I don't think he remembers me...Anyway, I got going a bit late, so the lady I have gotten duck and pork from the last two Mondays, was not there anymore and the husband and wife right behind her were still there, but nearly everything that was there was spoken for, I did get some duck, and also some chicken from them, already BBQ, so that will be good, but I have to get there earlier...to get the good stuff!! So the uncooked chicken lady was right at the front and she had only two full birds left, so she cut up one for me...I wanted two full breasts on the bird, but she cut them up too...something got lost in the translation...I think that there are times when I need to speak slower, and listen more attentively! Onto Dallas, my veggie guy and the stall next to his for my fruit...picked up corn,sweet potatoes, baking potatoes and tomatoes. Again I got there late so the broccoli was gone and his stuff was pretty picked over. The fruit guy was no better, got banana, mango, blueberries (from Plant City, no less)...not as much as last time as the selection was poor...late, damn!! Onto the fish...very first guy i came to had a beautiful cut of snapper already filleted, and tried to give me the head also, I said no thanks, we are not at the stage where we can do the fish head curry at home yet. Ok so this was a heavy bunch of stuff, and by the time I made it back home I was drenched...good workout!! So the next bid was to change and then off to the gym for a workout, see running blog. Back home again and almost time for Brenna to get off the bus, when I get a very odd email from my bride, she is begging me to take our lovely peach of a child, to McDonald's...and get this, so she can get a coke-a-cola glass!! McDonald's has glasses that are part of a meal deal giveaway, they look like coke cans, and come in a variety of cool colors...Roxanne wants the neon green one. the reason why this is so funny to me is that this is a woman who never has a want for anything...they only time i see her truly excited about "stuff" is artwork and pictures...so for her to be that much enamored with a glass from McDonald's, that's just funny!! so Brenna got McDonald's again tonight so Roxanne could have a neon green Coke glass...Brenna was thrilled!! Well we have continued to think and plan for the summer, and what we are going to do to make the time go a bit quicker, and we have lots of ideas...we just need to get 2 nailed down and then book them so we don't miss out on the good airfare and the good hotel rates. Our Oma starts tomorrow, this should be interesting indeed!! Early night to bed...Another great day in Penang!! Goodnight all, until tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment