Monday, June 13, 2011

The Death of "Fish Face"

So we mentioned in previous bog posts that Brenna had wanted a pet and we were going to try and avoid the Hamster trap. (where would we put it when we were away, what to do with it when we leave in two years). So we had gotten Brenna some fish, just Guppies and a small tank. Well tragedy has struck, and "fish face" one of the 4 that we had gotten her has died. I don't know if there is anything more difficult than watching your child lose his/her first pet. I took it out of the tank, put it in another bowl and decided not to do anything till Brenna got home from school. I remember every pet I had, and I also remember how I felt when they died...it was terrible!! Brenna is overly dramatic about brushing her teeth, so I was envisioning a horror show of emotion over the fish. So she got home from school and I broke the news to her, she sighed and said "so, I guess that means fish funeral" and she made the flushing sound...she then drew a picture of a tomb stone and wrote "fish face funeral" on it and taped it to her bathroom door...we had our small service over the bowl and in he went...that was it!! I was astounded, she talked for a bit about why he died, that may be he had lived in the tank at the pet store for a long time, and he was just ready to die, possibly he was sick before, or may be the other fish did not like him and beat him up...we decided on the first reason, and left it at that. When Roxanne got home later, she cried...I think our little girl has us figured out, although i am usually the no nonsense one and Rox is more sensitive, I was ready to play the sensitive role when Brenna got home from school, knowing that the death of a pet was a tough go...She saved it for Roxanne though. Not easy watching your child lose a pet though, even if it is a guppy!! Today was a rest day for me in every way, I rested most of the day ,except for the wet market trip in the morning, and some cleaning before Brenna got home. I learned a lesson today though you cannot come home from the wet market and just put the fruit out, you have to wash it, because the bugs will be everywhere if you don't. i bought some rambutan, and did not rinse them, put them out and by 5:00pm there were big black ants everywhere on the table, so I rinsed them, killed the ants and problem solved, I will rinse fruit next time for sure!! Well guided reading at school tomorrow, and a run in the morning. NHL playoffs also....Good day in penang!! Fish face we hardly knew ye!! Goodnight!!

1 comment:

  1. My condolences on the loss of Fish Face. I remember having a tank with guppies when I was little, and how upset I got every time we had to flush one! Hope Brenna's mourning period is brief. :)

    ReplyDelete